Wednesday, June 27, 2007

God's Word

You know, I've said that I will fight for this marriage until God releases me. And then I realized that He already has.
Matthew 19:8-9 Jesus said, "Moses provided for divorce as a concession to your hard heartedness, but it is not part of God's original plan. I'm holding you to the original plan, and holding you liable for adultery if you divorce your faithful wife and then marry someone else. I make an exception in cases where the spouse has committed adultery."
I've known this Scripture, but for some reason kept waiting for "the feeling" that God has released me from the marriage. I suppose that's my heart not ready to give up. I don't give up easily on ANYTHING!
But the truth is, Jesus spoke on this issue a long time ago. And God's Word is His message to me...clear as day. Now, God can work a miracle in George's life if George will let him. Because God chose to give us free will though, it is up to George to respond to that calling.
I have no idea what will happen to my family. But I do know that God says I don't have to worry because He loves me and will protect me. And even though I am really, really sad these days, I'm still joyful because I know God's promise. God knows the desires of my heart and I talk candidly about them to Him. There is nothing I can't say to God!
1 Corinthians 7:15-16On the other hand, if the unbelieving spouse walks out, you've got to let him or her go. You don't have to hold on desperately. God has called us to make the best of it, as peacefully as we can. You never know, wife: The way you handle this might bring your husband not only back to you but to God. You never know, husband: The way you handle this might bring your wife not only back to you but to God.
I highlighted"peacefully" in this passage because it goes along with what God spoke to me through 1 Peter 3:4. So, THANK GOD that He answers my prayers for wisdom and clarity. And your prayers too!
So, I really, really, reallllly miss my friends in Colorado. I get teary-eyed just thinking about them. I am getting to know some great women here in Virginia and I'm leading a Bible study this summer where I know I'll get to know more women on a deeper level. I'm also thinking about asking a few girls to form a small group with me. One of the greatest ways that God has blessed me was about 3 years ago in Colorado. I had met a lot of people but I am not the sort of person who has a TON of friends. I am very picky about who I get intimate with and I usually have a few very close friends. Well I had been in Colorado for 4 years at that time and I was starting to get really hungry for some deep, meaningful relationships with other women. I met a couple of girls at a church retreat and really wanted to get to know them better. But at that time I was kind of insecure and wasn't sure they'd be interested in getting to know me...so I never really approached them. Well, that summer I ended up helping one of these girls, Alexis, and her husband sell their house and buy another one. During that time, she mentioned that she was meeting with the other girl, Adrienne, and one other girl who I didn't know for small group. They were meeting that night. When I got into my car after our appointment, I prayed that God would put it on their hearts to invite me to join their small group. I am not even kidding you, THE NEXT morning Alexis called to tell me that they had talked about me the night before and wanted me to join their group!! Adrienne called me later that day to tell me that both she and Alexis had shown up at the coffee shop and said that there was someone they really wanted to invite into the group...and it was me!! I felt soooo humbled and blessed that God worked it out like that. The 4 of us became very close and we grew so much in the Lord and that time has impacted my life in a profound way. All that to say that I see the value in "seasonal" small groups because I think we often go through seasons in our lives when we need intimacy with certain people...and then that season passes and we must take what we've learned about ourselves and about God and share that with other groups of people. Wow, I'm getting really long winded.
Anyway, I have a real heart for the women at my church and there are a few who I'd love to get together with on a regular basis and see how God moves in us. I'll let you you know how God works it out. :-)


7 comments:

Melody in MN said...

Hi Erin,
That's so cool about your Bible study and also reading about your great small group experience in Colorado. I too have gone through seasons where God has placed women in my life for that time and place and it has been neat to see Him work. I'm still praying for you and George. It sounds like God is teaching you so much right now...I can't even imagine. May His perfect peace cover you and your children, and George too.

Blessings and love to you,
Melody

Adrienne said...

I love you, friend, and will pray for your time, the right women, and God's Spirit to lead you guys as you seek His face and as you open up to one another. He gives the gift of friendship, no matter where we live...
I'm praying...
Ade
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Praying for those divine appointments and that God would bring incredibly humble, fun, caring and loving women into your life.

We miss you too!

Alexis

Sheri said...

I will pray that God sends you some great friends. I have been praying everyday for God to send you strength and peace.

Sheri

loving my life said...

Well I'm glad that your hearing His voice so clearly. May God bless you during this difficult journey.

Sheri said...

I was just thinking of you. Still praying for you too :)

Sheri

Laura Rex said...

Checking in to see how you are...you are all in my prayers!