Friday, June 1, 2007

Our Story


From John Eldredge's Epic:

"It came as a great surprise to me as a counselor when I first discovered that children would much rather know that their parents loved each other than that they loved them. But, of course, we need to know that love is real, that it endures, that a world of love is planned for us and waits for us, and that we can count on it. As Jesus said,

'Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.' (John 17:24)

We need to know that love lasts. The reason divorce is so devastating to children (not to mention grown-ups) is because it ends the story. Just like that. The past is lost. The future is uncertain. The pictures come down off the walls. Certain names are never mentioned again. The love story is over. You can't count on anything.

Now that I am grown, my greatest joys come not from the adventures I take alone, but from the adventures I invite my wife and sons into. We climb mountains and canoe rivers and eat an entire package of Oreos in one sitting. We laugh and talk and wrestle and find more joy in anything because it is shared."