Friday, July 13, 2007

In Adrienne's words...

This is from a post on www.NoahSteven.blogspot.com that was done on March 5, 2007.



What is so offensive about Grace?This thought has been a “title” in my head for several months now. Seriously, why is Christ so offensive to some? I got my hair cut the week before we laid Noah before the Lord, and with any great haircut, there is great conversation. I guess I set the tone when I sat down in the chair for the “preview” and the person asked what I wanted done. I very plainly said, “Well, in one week my husband and I are taking our son off life support. We’ll be having a photographer come in to capture our last day together, so, can you transform my hair to look good for the pictures?” We spent the next hour talking of nothing trivial. It was refreshing and encouraging to speak to a stranger about life, death, and hope…a captive conversation for the both of us.This person told me of their upbringing, that their father was Muslim and mother a Catholic. Neither were practicing either faith. Growing up, they never spoke of faith or religion, it was a forbidden topic. They shared some things that were gut wrenching and then basically said that they believe in God but has yet to find a religion that works for them. I told this person that was good because religion is dead. Religion is man’s attempt to get to God but that grace is God reaching out to man through His son, Jesus Christ. I told them that whether they believe it or not, whether anyone believes it or accepts it, Jesus Christ died on a cross 2000 years ago to forgive us of our sins and renew our relationship with the living God who created all of us. I told the person that when I grew up, I had always believed that Jesus was my Savior. I knew what He had done for me and anyone else who would believe, but that I never allowed Him to be in charge of my life...There is a MAJOR DIFFERENCE. I said that at one point I realized I didn't have it all together and that if I really believed God was who He claimed to be, then I was pretty safe to entrust my life and will into His...Then, I said, "I realize this probably sounds crazy..." They said, "Actually, what you said makes more sense to me than anything I have ever heard in my entire life."
I know that people who are offended or jaded by Christ have not met Him. I say that because to study the life of Jesus Christ would reveal a man that is daily misrepresented here on earth by His very own...I do it. Do you? Do you judge your neighbor or love them, regardless of your opinion of them? Are you only surrounded by people like yourself? Is everyone in your circle of life a believer and follower of Jesus Christ? Do you only go to "christian" dentists, ob/gyns, chiropractors, grocery stores, hairdressers? I pose these questions because if everyone and their dog that surrounds you is only a christian, how on earth are you loving and living the way Jesus did? He wasn't mutually exclusive. He hung out with anyone and everyone, except the pompous, arrogant religious leaders that were legalistic death traps.
No, you don't have to become a prostitute, staunch theologian, heroin addict, murderer, an elite intellectual, or thief to truly "hang out" with people who do not know the truth of Christ. Jesus didn't become a prosititute or legalistic religious priest. He was humble. He was powerful. He was and is Grace. A free gift. I know that the true offense is that I, or you, might actually have the audacity to not only believe it, but to tell of this Gift of Grace...
I can testify that if we hadn't walked this road with Noah with the Grace and Peace of knowing Christ, I personally would have been suicidal and hopelessly destitute. I am grateful that was not the case.
(p.s. Jason liked Em's hair...though it took him the weekend to get used to it)
Posted by Adrienne at 4:17 AM

6 comments:

sarah said...

Your friend has a wonderful way with words and an excellent view of life. We ALL could learn something.

Sheri said...

Erin,
I was thinking of that exact same post yesterday when that person was being mean. I don't know where I would be today without the grace of God.
Thanks for sharing, it was good to read it again.
Praying for you and your family.

sherry said...

Good job Erin. You have handled yourself well, even though others have been cruel. I'm continuing to pray.

Anonymous said...

cruel?, mean? I am confused..

sarah said...

I believe they are refering to comments from a previous post. No more drama, we are to support.

betsy said...

Hey Erin -

Just read a comment you left on NoahSteven's blog and was like - wow! I was just looking for a parking space in Charlottesville 2 nights ago. Weird. I live in Williamsburg. I sometimes look around in crowds, wondering how many people I know from school or an internship I did, or a mission trip or some other circumstance. Now I'll be thinking how many of these people do I cross paths with in blogging world? Pretty cool.