Sunday, November 4, 2007

I Get Knocked Down But I Get Up Again




We've all heard this song that was popular in the late 90s. Little did I know that this is actually straight out of God's Word!

2 Corinthians 4:8-10:

We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don't give up and quit. We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going. Through suffering, these bodies of ours constantly share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.

and...

2 Corinthians 4: 16-18

That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever! So we don't look at the troubles we can see right now; rather, we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.


WOW!!

I have been soaking up these words daily this past week. Life is really hard right now. George and I are moving forward with the divorce. I have to continually ask myself, what will please God? I have no need to please anyone but Him. I am learning to be a better listener and to be very patient. I am so thankful that God is eternally unchanging because that means His Word to his Beloveds is eternally unchanging. And I don't know what I'd do without the Word of God.


I also don't know what I'd do without supportive friends. I am so grateful to have people in my life who love me and want what is best for me and for Jackson. I have been blown away by the burden others have for us...and some of these people I have never met! It's pretty normal to be self-absorbed when going through a crisis. And I hate that fact. I'm trying really hard to be a good friend, available to listen, and not constantly talk about myself. :-) I feel that I have a short ways to go before I can start pouring myself into serving others. I just don't have a lot to pour out yet. I do know, without a doubt, that my testimony will be used to encourage others and so I am diligently seeking God's Spirit and writing down what He teaches me.


We have moved all of our stuff from the storage units over to the house we'll be living in for a while. This week I'll spend time getting set up at the new place and then Jackson and I will move in. He's really excited to have his own room again...although I suspect he'll have a hard time sleeping without me right next to him. I have gotten so busy with Go Green Clean and real estate that I'm realizing I MUST plan activities with Jackson. I may have mentioned that I'm not the most organized person (you may have assumed this because I'm in sales!) but you better believe I'm going to become one. Jackson is 4 years old. He is so young and impressionable and it is my responsibility to instill in him godly values, self-esteem, and good character. Single parenting is much different than dual parenting. It's harder and takes more focus. So that means my time cannot be wasted and I must be diligent in following a schedule.


I started this post early this morning and it is now 8:46 pm. I've had a full day. A wonderful time of worship and learning this morning, a quick open house, a birthday party for one of Jackson's friends, unpacking at the new place, "home" for dinner and some stories, Jackson to bed, a little work, and now finishing up the blog. And what a random post this one has turned out to be!


And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love. Andn may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is.

Ephesians 3:17-18

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin, I pray for you so often. I am so sorry about the suffering you are going through.

Even though you are in crisis and feel you can't pour out to others, you are already being used by God to inspire with your story, even though this painful chapter isn't over yet. You are broken bread and poured out wine and so many people are being strengthened, challenged, and/or encouraged by you as they rub shoulders with you day by day or online.

Debbie W.

Anonymous said...

those are awesome verses to share with others going through times of trouble.
thank you for sharing your thoughts and insight.

SingerMamaMelody said...

Hi Erin,

I'll pray that God fills you with His peace and strength today.

Love,
Melody

Dena said...

What a cute astronaut! Happy Halloween! Enjoy the new digs!