Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Well, it's been 2 weeks since my last post.  I've been busier than I enjoy being.  We have mostly moved into our new home...we're loving it.  It is wonderful to have our own space and togetherness again.  We lived with our friends, the Rettmers, for 2 1/2 months and I could not have asked for a better situation.  They were so generous and easy going with us...and I know it could not have been easy to cohabitate for such a long time!!  And what's more, we're still friends!  :-)
I have been cleaning a lot of houses, which is a huge blessing, but I sure have been worn out!  Yesterday I slept straight from 10:00 pm to 8:00 am...I guess I was tired.  I'm hoping to use the long weekend to finish unpacking boxes and get things a little more organized.  
Jackson is spending Thanksgiving with George.  I had a dream last night about my doctor at UVA, who was assisting Griffin's birth and was my primary doctor.  And today I kept having short flashbacks to the day I had him.  I guess it's just hitting me that this special, thankful day is going to be different.  Just different.  You know, I am truly grateful for so much in my life, especially for second chances, forgiveness, grace, fresh starts, etc.  I guess that perhaps I was so anxious to get the heck out of Virginia and back to Colorado that I didn't take enough time to say good-bye.  I don't want to relive that period of my life, but I do think that someday I will need to go back for some closure.  Anyway...I think that as I enjoy time with close friends tomorrow, I will also be grieving.
THANK YOU all for praying for me and this divorce process.  George and I met in court on Monday and were given the date for our decree of dissolution: January 7th, 2008.  All of our forms must be filed with the court by December 7th.   I will be having the forms looked over by an attorney to be sure we haven't missed anything.   
As I sit here, thinking of all that has been on my heart lately, I especially remember the story of a single mom with 3 kids who lives in a rescue mission in CA.  She was an addict but successfully went through the mission's recovery program and is now in her 1st semester of college.  She said that with Jesus Christ in her life, no matter what her circumstances may be, she knows she is whole, that she is okay, and she will make it.  I am so thankful that the life that Jesus offers is not circumstantial.  It defies the obvious.  It redefines who we are.  It truly does set us free.  
It is my hope that my story will be used to ignite a radical change in the lives of those who hear it.  A change that comes from knowing that God is the author of life.  That who we are in him is as good as it gets.  That he IS the one and only.  All of our wants and needs are satisfied by him alone.  His love is not circumstantial.   He meets us where we are.   He meets us right where we are.  
I am thankful for: Jackson, petite syrah, natural Cheetos, sunshine, mountains, blogs, hot water, modal pajamas, digital cameras, free PCS to PCS minutes, mascara, God's Word, people who are smarter than me, people who are kinder than me, people who are more creative than me, doctors with excellent bedside manner, 400 thread count sheets, coffee, real friends, heated seats, microfiber cloths, indoor plumbing, loving family, Mercy Me, Plum Creek Community Church, and diet Coke.  Oh, and Tokyo Joe's!  

5 comments:

Michelle (wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, and striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman) said...

I love all the little things you are thankful for! Especially the heated seats...boy those are nice this time of year! This is a great reminder that we always have things to be thankful for, and not to take for granted the little luxuries of our lives.
Blessings to you. What a great perspective you have!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

good to hear from you again. I was wondering how to pray for you. you will be in my prayers today and in the days ahead. in Christ, carol

SingerMamaMelody said...

Dear Erin,

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, even with so much on your heart. I enjoyed your list of things to be thankful for. I'm praying for you!

Love,
Melody

Shannon and Carey said...

Erin,
Just stumbled onto your blog today. You know how the interent can just take you from place to place? Well thats how I got here. Ill track back and tell you later LOL. I pray for you and your son. Your blog has made me cry. Has made me mad. I will be thinking of you and your son. I am from divorced parents and I have been divorced myself....but am happily remarried with twins. BOTH BY THE GRACE OF GOD! I dont need to tell you you will be alright. You already know this. I will be reading your posts.
New reader in Austin,
Shannon Best

Shannon and Carey said...

Erin,
I told you I would tell you how I got to your blog. It was throught the parents of Noah. Maybe that family is your friend? Anyway I wanted to tell you how I got to you!
Hope you're having a great day!
Shannon in Austin