Saturday, December 8, 2007

Had to

share these tips. I'm reading Barbara Corcoran's Use What You've Got and in it she shares her mom's unconventional lessons such as:
* If you don't have big breasts, put ribbons on your pigtails.
* When the clubhouse is quiet, they're probably not making spaghetti.
* If you want to be a cheerleader, you better know the cheers.
* When there are 10 buyers and 3 puppies, every dog is the pick of the litter.
* Jumping out the window will make you either an ass or a hero.
* You've got to bully a bully.

God has blessed me with a booming cleaning business. I plan to hire someone to help me in January. That said, I can't get ahead with the income I'm currently earning. It's time to get down to business in real estate. Unfortunately, in this market, with 10 buyers comes a lot more than 3 puppies! So, it's a tough market, that's okay. I'm just going to put this out there -- my goal is to sell $6 million in real estate next year. I'm usually a $5 million producer and that's good income, but I want to surpass that and really grow my business. If you're not into business, I'm sorry if I'm boring you. There are 2 things I really love reading about and talking about: the living out of Christian faith and business strategies and practices.

So I'm thinking about starting a real estate blog. What do you think? Everyone hears on the news what goes on in the real estate market...but that's from a national perspective and real estate is different city by city. I think it would be cool to write about what I experience in the market on a daily basis. I'm sure there are other people around the country doing this, but I haven't heard of them yet. But who cares, right? There will always be other people doing what I'm doing. I just have to do it better. :-) So, would you read a local real estate blog? If you're not currently concerned about the real estate market, would you read the blog if you were getting ready to put your house on the market or start looking for a new place to live?

Okay, onto to other thoughts. I was at a really fun wine tasting party last night at Thomas and Dana's house. There must have been about 30 people there and it was a good crowd. Somehow a few of us got into a conversation about emergent churches and reformed churches. It was great conversation. I am fairly educated about the emergent church network, but had not heard of Mark Driscoll and the reformed church movement. Obviously I've heard of the Reformation, but not the new breed. This morning I was researching Mars Hill Church, Mark Driscoll, emergent village, and Brian MacLaren and what I found was deeply disturbing. One opposes the other's questions and beliefs and because each movement has a ginormous following, I fear the Christian community is gearing up for another fundamental split. The big split we all know of and hear about is between the conservatives and the liberals--Christians, that is. Now I fear that because one movement is asking "can we move beyond conservativism and liberalism into the postmodern world?" many people will be afraid of the question and not even consider what the answer may be. God tells us that because we have his Spirit, we will know the truth. We don't have to be afraid of the questions and the conversations. It's okay to think outside the box!! I find it hard to believe that 16th century theologians have the final say on interpretation of God's Word!! Don't get me wrong, I believe in absolute truth and scriptural inerrancy. What I'm saying is that it is so easy to become a fundamentalist. We MUST be careful about becoming self-righteous and so worried about being right. How do we, as Christ followers, fit into the 21st century? While the rest of the world is evolving, emerging, growing, thinking, and embracing uniqueness, I think it is pretty safe to say that Christians and the Church have some catching up to do.
And just so I'm clear, I'm not associating myself with either the emergent church or the reformed church. I associate myself with Jesus Christ. And I like to know what's happening in his Church.

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

Good word, friend. Jesus isn't coming for the emergent church or the reformed church, He's coming for His Bride, and she better know who she is and Who she anticipates! Come Lord Jesus!

loving my life said...

Hmm this is all new to me. I have never even heard of the emergent church? Or reformed? Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm gonna look it up now.

Bobby said...

I've been struggling to understand the emerging v. emergent v. reformed etc. movement questions for years now. I think that overall, if Christ is truly being glorified and scripture is accurately being taught/lived out then those two things are good litmus tests. Here's a video I saw on a friend's blog which helps kind of clear up the ideas behind each sect. Sorry the address is so long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcbnGXSYxuI

Bobby
thebobbyreport.wordpress.com

Kim said...

You have been on my mind lately and since you haven't posted in a while, I just wanted to let you know you are being prayed for.