Sunday, December 2, 2007

Monday thru Saturday

I like the new me. I've been pondering the peace I have and comparing my new self to my old self. I think truly liking, even loving, myself is a huge factor. When the rug was pulled out from under me back in April, I asked, "Who does God say that I am?". God says he created me in his image. So that tells me that at the heart of me is God and his qualities. The more I discovered God's love for me, the more I fell in love with God. And the more I have connected with God, the more I love myself. And the more I seek God and obey him, the more I like myself.
Something I want everyone to know is that God speaks to me through his Word. That dusty Bible that might be sitting on a shelf beyond reach in your closet holds miracles just waiting to happen...if only you'd read it. I go to a church that delivers a God-given message each and every Sunday. It's inspiring and powerful but it's not enough. Corporate worship is an integral part of my faith journey, but the most powerful part comes from God's Spirit...which is this crazy combination of his Word and the Holy Spirit. Every time I open my Bible, I ask God's Spirit to speak to me, to give me a new word and to help me hear it. There have been times in the last year that I've just gone in search of something in God's Word, only to have to stop after a few minutes and ask God to guide me. I guess it's similar to the idea of praying in the Spirit...only it's reading in the Spirit. Of course, they may be one in the same.
All that to say that God gave us his Word...I mean, it's not just this little project he thought he'd tackle for fun. God knows you. He made you, he knows every thought you have, he knows...even the stuff you hope nobody knows. So if you have the message of God, the famous one, sitting somewhere in your house, gathering dust, go get it. Blow off the dust. Talk to God, ask him to speak to you, and open up his Word that he breathes new every time one of his Beloveds lays eyes on it.

5 comments:

loving my life said...

Yes so true! I am waiting to learn to love myself....

Bobby said...

God's really been confirming for me the freshness and powerful conviction that comes from reading scripture. And he's been doing that through other's passion for His words. Thanks I'm praying for y'all

Michelle (wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, and striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman) said...

What a great blog. The times I have been at most peace in my life has been when I am in the Word. It is NOT when things are actually the most "peaceful". It can be chaos all around me, but God's Word gives stability, clarity, hope and peace. His Word is so true...as His peace passes all understanding. I join with you in your challenge to get the Bible off the shelf. In our hands it can lead us to amazing things!
Blessings,
Michelle

SingerMamaMelody said...

Hey Erin,

Thanks for the inspiration to read the Bible. I get so overwhelmed with being a mom that I often forget, or don't take the time, to read my Bible...and I miss it dearly. I really miss that time with God. So, right now, I'm going to go and read...

Thanks,
Melody

nancygrayce said...

God's Word is living and active in our lives when we keep it in our minds and hearts. He can heal every broken heart! I love reading your blog.