Sunday, February 17, 2008

More of Psalm 23






This morning's message touched my heart. You know, last year (and right now too!) I was basking in the love of God...realizing my worth in His eyes. Every day brought a new understanding of God's love for His children. I let Him enscribe His Truths on my heart. I am overcome with emotion when I think of how many people have no idea how much God loves them. Their souls must be in agony.


Today Doug talked about Soul Care. I know the importance of taking time to nurture my heart and soul...taking the time to listen to God. I spend a lot of time in the car and a lot of time by myself while I clean. What a blessing that time is!! I am priviledged to have so much time to talk to God and listen to what He has to tell me. This has not always been the case. I have been consumed with doing rather than being. Something Doug said today struck me right between the eyes. He said, "Lack of rest is a sign of immaturity". Whoa!! In a society that brags about how busy it is, this is quite the accusation! But it is so true, isn't it? Taking the time to rest and enjoy God's masterpiece is exactly what God has instructed us to do. Here is a rewritten Psalm 23, I think it will resonate with you:


Marcia Hornok struck a nerve when she took the Psalm that most expresses our need for quiet and rest and rewrote it in the style of our tired, stressed-out culture.


The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.

It leads me to deep depression.

It hounds my soul.

It leads me in circles of frenzy for activity’s sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task, I will never get it all done,

For my “ideal” is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me,

beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines.

My in-basket over flows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration forever.


Here are Doug's suggestions for Learning To Slow Down:

1. Realize my worth

2. Enjoy what I already have

3. Limit my labor (!!!)

4. Adjust my values

5. Exchange pressure for peace


May you be filled with the knowledge deep in your heart of God's intense, unfailing love for you and His great desire that you enjoy the life He has given you!

2 comments:

mommyof2boys said...

Oh WOW!! This post has really "hit me right between the eyes" Thank you sooo much for this. You write beautifully and I wanted to let you know that I have been following your blog whenever I can...After this though, I will definately make more time to do it more often. I found your blog thru Adrienne's several mths ago and I think I commented once. It is so very true how we all rush thru life, never stopping to enjoy it, always pressured to do more and more. You really amaze me ya know...I cannot believe with all you've been thru how you actually make time to reach out to others so freely with your writing. So, thank you...I learned an invaluable lesson tonight by reading your last post...I will pray tonight that God helps me to not be such a "yes" person to people at work especially when being that way takes away from my husband and children. I also pray for you that you have the time and funds you need to move on and do what you need to do.

Love,
Paula and Family

E said...

Thank you so much for this post! These are all the things I've been feeling in my spirit and then feeling guilty about actually trying to do (resting when there are gazillions of things to do, saying no once in a while, etc.). But as I read your post, it was confirmed for me that it's not crazy to do this, it's to prevent craziness from setting in!
I've been following your posts and you've been heavy on my heart and in my prayers this weekend! Continue to be strong and take courage!