Friday, February 8, 2008

The Truth about Divorce


If you haven't read Ecclesiates lately, you really should. I have never been so tickled by Scripture! In a nutshell: Eat well, drink good wine, work hard, and have fun. I pity those who don't read God's Word. They're missing out BIG time!!!

So...this journey was a roller coaster, huh? Would love to hear your thoughts on how it progressed and how God spoke to you. My desire has been that through my openness and vulnerability, you would hear God speaking to your heart. Has that happened to you?

Back in April, I was seeing things in black and white. God's Word says He hates divorce. I thought that to please Him, I needed to save my marriage. I thought: Divorce is bad, marriage is good. Now that I have walked through this journey, I can see things from a different perspective. But I have zero regrets!! I followed my heart and sought God's direction through it all. The truth is, we really cannot say what we would do in someone else's situation. I'm sure a lot of people think I should have just kept my mouth shut and gotten a quick divorce. And I'm sure there are others who think I should have refused a divorce and continued to believe that God would heal my marriage. Either of those paths may be right for others, but not for me. I have learned the importance of listening and offering empathy. Everyone is on a different journey for God's purpose. It is so important to remember that God is sovereign and some of us have to beat our heads against a wall in order to clear out ourselves and make room for God!

6 comments:

What goes around comes around said...

Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.

Hmm...... What are you so afraid of?
:)

What goes around comes around said...

Thank you!!! God bless and watch over you and your son!

loving my life said...

Hey Erin,
I get the same judgement's all the time. I am unfortunately still in the stage of "caring" what other's think. I am constantly trying to justify my decision to end my marriage to anyone that will listen.
It doesn't work! And I don't need to do that. God knows my heart,He's the one who has released me from the marriage and I do not need to concern myself with others and their beliefs on MY life.
UGH, such a hard lesson but so worth it.
By the way-- seems like someone is VERY threatened by you--- and holding lots of anger inside- I pity that person's family because holding on to that filth is toxic to all around...

SingerMamaMelody said...

Hey Erin :) I think that it has been amazing to read about your journey and to see that you really have been following God through it all. You really sought God and I think that He has honored you. Thanks for being an example of not giving up on HIM even though it would've been easy to do so in your circumstances! That is one of the things that I have learned through you so far. May God continue to be near you and Jackson, and George too...and may He guide your every step and give you comfort and peace.

nancygrayce said...

I have read your story and hurt for you. I went through a painful divorce (like any aren't?) twice! I married the same husband twice because I was trying to do what was right for my children. It wasn't any better the second time. Divorce is just a hurtful thing....but we have a loving and forgiving God! You are a brave soul!

E said...

what struck me about this post was that some may believe that it's "them saving" their marriage to please God. I'm sure that if it were up to you that you would have just fixed it...but God is so much more interested in the journey, our hearts, our identity and who we are. I believe that He takes every opportunity to grow us into who He sees us to be IF we're willing to join Him in the work. So, I guess it boils down to willingness. What am I willing to let God do in my life? I can't change anyone, no matter how much I'd like to. I can only be receptive to what I believe God wants to do with me. And marriage is not just one person...it's three. God-husband-wife. I can't change him and God is not calling me to change him. That's His job, not mine! :) I'm just going to be willing to change and grow and learn.