Sunday, August 24, 2008

Proud Mama

I am crazy about my church. I must say that we are doing church really well. We are impacting our community for Jesus, we are challenged and following God through hard times, and we are loving each other well.
I want to share with you something that left me speechless today:

After first service, Matt and Jackson and I went The Waffle House. As usual, Matt and I were talking about God's lessons. Toward the end of our meal, there was a lull in the conversation and Jackson said, "Matt, would you like the rest of my waffle?" Matt said yes and thanked him. Then Jackson said, "Would you also like the rest of my bacon?" And Matt said, "Jackson, thank you. That is so nice of you!" To which Jackson replied, "Well, that is what I do for nice people." Matt asked Jackson if he learned that in KidzJam and Jackson said, "Yes, it's called honoring others." My jaw dropped as I stared in amazement at my son.

Most of what our kids learn is learned from our behavior. Those we surround ourselves with and what we talk about has a huge impact on our children. Do you think if Matt and I had been talking about something trivial--or worse yet, gossiping about someone--Jackson would have been thinking about what he learned at church that morning? I wasn't thinking about that while Matt and I were talking, we just happen to love God and talk about Him all the time. But as I reflect, I can see how the combination of Jackson's time in church, my time in church, what I talk to Jackson about, and my conversation with those I spend time with directly impacts the kind of person Jackson is becoming. It's kind of a "duh" moment, but so good to see the fruit of the Holy Spirit in Jackson's life!

3 comments:

Michelle (wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, and striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman) said...

Erin,
You have every right to be proud. What a blessing for Jackson to have you as his mama.
In my prayers,
Michelle

Misi said...

So true! And you keep on being one proud Mama, you deserve it!

SingerMamaMelody said...

Hi Erin :) I think of you often and have you in my prayers!