Saturday, November 1, 2008

Kids/Food/Discovery

So I had my first Parent/Teacher conference this week. I was totally prepared to hear these words: Jackson is a great student. He is definitely the smartest kid in class. Very advanced. He is a hard worker and very good natured. Ha! Instead, what I heard was confusing. Jackson's truly wonderful teacher told me that Jackson's skills are right where they should be and then she proceeded to tell me what he cannot do. These were things like sounding out words and then writing them down on paper. Writing his double digit numbers. Rhyming. Then she said this, Jackson has a very high drive to learn. We LOVE to see this. He is an independent learner, which is wonderful.
I am going to be very honest here. I walked away from that meeting feeling as though his teacher had just told me that he is not smart. I wanted to cry. I was confused because he is always spelling at home...sounding out words on his own. And rhyming? He always rhymes. I know that he knows his numbers because he counts to 100. Apparently he's just transposing the double digit numbers. Anyway, it plagued me for a couple of days. Jackson's teacher gave me some tips on things to work on with him at home. So we did. He wrote every word I asked him to write. He wrote double digit numbers correctly. He rhymed.
A friend of mine works at the school as the speech therapist. I told her about the conference and she suggested I talk to his teacher again and tell her my concerns and also ask how she assesses the students. So yesterday I was at the school for the Halloween parade and party. Jackson's teacher approached me and asked if I could come in again to talk about some issues she's having with Jackson's emotions. Great. So we made an appointment for Monday. Then I had to go clean a house for four hours and guess what I thought about THE ENTIRE TIME? You guessed it! Wow, I must be a horrible mom. I don't do enough special activities with him. He's suffering and it's showing up at school.
After about 3 hours of this nonsense, it hit me. Jackson is hypoglycemic. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) runs in my family and my mom told me while she was here a couple of weeks ago that she was pretty sure Jackson is hypoglycemic. She noticed that if Jackson hadn't eaten in more than a couple of hours, he became unfocused and weepy. And Jackson is not a weepy kid. When my blood sugar is low, I feel tired and overly emotional. I cannot focus and am easily angered. At school, Jackson gets a morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack. At home, he eats about every hour to 2 hours. And when he gets home from school, he ravishes the refrigerator and pantry. Unfortunately, I can't send any kind of nuts with him to school. That leaves me with cheese and meet for snacks. (People with hypoglycemia cannot process sugar correctly. We need a diet high in protein and very low in carbohydrates.) But in reality, he needs to eat a small amount of protein every hour plus 3 protein heavy meals. So I'm hopeful that his teacher will see it fit to treat Jackson's hypoglycemia as any other disease. And to me, that would like Jackson going to see the nurse for some cheese cubes throughout the day.
This morning I made southwestern omelets for breakfast. 2 eggs, red bell pepper, onion, and cheese topped with sour cream and salsa. Yum! As I was making it, Jackson said "Mom, I don't like omelets!" I told him we needed the protein and asked him to at least be willing to try it. "Noooo, Mama, I don't like it." Silence. Continued cooking. I made bacon too.
So, I set the table for breakfast and called him over. I asked him if he wanted sour cream and salsa. Yes, he did. Do you think he liked it?


I'll let you know how it goes with his teacher on Monday. Maybe I'm totally off on this one. Maybe.

Here are some pics from Halloween:

I would like to clarify that I'm not concerned with Jackson being "smart". I'm concerned with him being able to function well in school. I want him to feel like himself at school and to perform to the best of his ability. The "smartest kid in class" was a parent to parent joke. :-)

2 comments:

A Look Into Our Lives said...

I want to say I am truly blessed to hear that you are praying for my husband. It means so much to me that he is being lifted up to God by so many.
So thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and send up your prayers.

I went through your blog a little and I am very sorry to hear of the very difficult issues you are going through. I will pray for YOU that you are filled with God's peace and direction.
May you be blessed,
Hilary

Mc Allen said...

aww, what a sweet little hungy boy!! I bet he'll be asking for another one soon!! And, what did ya find out today??:) LA