Wednesday, February 29, 2012

the 7 project, by Jen Hatmaker

Seven from Faceout Studio on Vimeo.


In 2007, God pulled the rug out from underneath me. I lost my idols. I let them go--He was tugging them away from me.

He wanted to show me true Freedom. I'd been pining for it. Desiring it, dreaming about it, reaching for it. He gave it to me--by taking everything way from me that wasn't from him. I probably resisted at first. To be honest, I don't remember. What I do remember is the intense liberation that followed. FREEDOM. So sweet.

Have you ever felt dissatisfied, but couldn't figure out why? Sometimes I feel like I can't get enough Jesus in my life. The communion, the communication, the emotional and spiritual growth and maturity...it's all good but it's not enough anymore. Event the leadership, the discipleship, the serving in church. Something deep within me yearns for more.

I just devoured Jen Hatmaker's new book, 7. It's an experimental mutiny against excess. Even as a single mom in the lower-middle class category, I am one of the richest people in the world. Jesus didn't live as well as I do (by the world's standards). He traveled extremely light. He had friends who were outcasts. And he called us to live like him. To store up our treasure in heaven. That looks different than my life, I'm pretty sure.

Tomorrow I begin my own experiment against excess. I want to be more like Jesus. I don't want my freedom to be wasted on me. I don't know what God has planned for me or my kiddo. I know that I desire a softer heart and heightened sensitivity to those in need. I'm up for whatever God has in mind--he always knocks my socks off.

This comes on the heels of leaving my full time job in order to put my time into the business I started with my sister. The day I put in my notice, I got a call from one of my besties, asking me about becoming the business director for her nonprofit. That's not the role I'm going to fill, as it turns out, but it was confirmation that I'd made a wise choice. Afterall, a single mom leaving a full time job with benefits sounds CRAZY!!!

So, March 1st 2012 is a special day. I hope my roasting chicken turns out good. Otherwise, I'm sunk.

No comments: