Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 8 of 21 Day Primal Blueprint

In case you're not familiar with the Primal Blueprint or Mark Sisson, you can become fully educated here. I've been dabbling in Primal/Paleo eating since last fall but I definitely didn't eat that way 8 days in a row.
Okay, whatever, I'll give you numbers. When I weighed myself on Day 1, 1 week ago, I weighed 138.6 with 21.3 % body fat (I'm 5'7). Here's a typical day's menu:
Breakfast: 1 organic egg scrambled with leeks, 3 slices of uncured bacon, 1 cup of spinach sauteed in coconut oil
Lunch: 3/4 cup of tuna salad (albacore tuna, 1 stalk of celery, sunflower seeds, and organic mayo), 2 servings of sauteed veggies: yellow squash, banana peppers, shallot, red bell peppers
Snack: spoonful of lemon-blueberry chevre
Dinner: bison short ribs, sweet potato spears, and leafy green salad
Indulgence: 1/2 glass red zinfandel and 2 squares of dark chocolate macadamia nut bark
Note: I actually only had sweet potatoes in 1 meal last week. But I did indulge every single night. :)
Tuna salad with grilled veggies for lunch
 I got to practice being Primal while on a trip this weekend. My dad drove Jackson and me to Lufkin, TX to visit my sister, Kelsey, and brother-in-law, Luke. We got in Friday afternoon and went to an "East Texas Treasure", Boil 'n Go. I had a feast of crab legs and shrimp but avoided the corn on the cob even though I was jonesin' for something sweet and juicy. Not wonderful, because I didn't have any veggies (none to choose from), but at least I had my fill of shell fish. Oh, and I did have a Mike's Harder Cranberry Lemonade. Oops.

Saturday morning was Primal: bacon, eggs, and plantains. NotsoPrimal: chocolate pancake from Chocolate Covered Katie. Still, no added sugar. After breakfast, Kelsey and I went to the Angelina County Farmers Market where she bought green tomatoes and okra. She sauteed the okra as soon as we got home, and I found myself anxiously hankering for veggies. Who, me?

After visiting the best zoo I've ever seen, we went to Orange Leaf for frozen yogurt. I actually resisted the urge to have a cheat treat and opted instead for a burrito bowl of pulled pork, grilled veggies, pico de gallo, and a little monterey jack cheese. Score!

That evening we drove to Nacodoches to eat at Kelsey and Luke's favorite restaurant: Auntie Pasta's. Haha, good play on words there, people. I was lamenting over the temptingly evil menu choices when I had the brilliant (if I do say so myself) idea of getting the chicken picatta but substituting veggies for the pasta. It was divine. And you know, I'd made so many good decisions that weekend that I decide to give in and have some dessert. I had a little key lime pie, a smidge cheesecake, and a bite of tiramisu. Terribly delicious. Oh my yum.

We got home late and everyone was zonked, so we went straight to bed. Well, lo and behold, guess who was awake at 3:30 am? Yes, yoursugareatingdevil truly. I was wide awake until about 5:00 am, feeling bloated and gassy. Gross.

The next day, I stayed Primal. I ate the rest of the plantains before church, had ribs without sauce and broccoli for lunch, and snack on pumpkins and sparkling water on the drive back home.

Today I weighed in. Ready?
Weight: 135.6
Bodyfat: 19.9%
Yeah baby!

Have you considered going Primal or Paleo?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin, you have inspired me to try primal eating. I think I can, I think I can!! You look great - not sure why you are dieting in the first place, and not at all like you could be Kelsey's mom!
Btw, glad you enjoyed Lufkin!

Erin said...

Yay! Oh, you can for sure. It's really, really easy. The hardest part will be avoided grains for the first 3-5 days if you've had a heavy grain diet (they call those days the carb flu).
I'm not really dieting, just revamping my lifestyle so I stop gaining a little weight every year. :)

Jason said...

Good on ya'! as they say here in Australia. I'm a Christian and I follow "Primal" a slight majority of the time. My wife and I have a lot of friends in Round Rock.

Redlands Jumping Castle Hire said...

of course like your website but you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to tell the reality on the other hand I’ll definitely come again again.